Former Western Suburbs Magpies player Noel Kelly was awarded the OAM at this year's Queens Birthday Honours List for service to Rugby League.
Information below is taken from the official Queens Birthday Honours List website.
Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division: Mr. Noel Raymond Kelly
For service to Rugby League, which includes
- Men of League Foundation
- Founding Board Member, 2002-2014.
- Welfare Committee Member/Officer, 2002-2014.
- Life Member, since 2016.
- National Rugby League (Australian Rugby League Commission)
- Member/Player, international tours, 1967; 1963, and 1959; 26 matches
- Member/Player, Queensland and NSW.
- Western Suburbs Rugby League Club – Wests Ashfield Leagues Club
- Player, 1961-1969; Grand Final in 1961, 1962 and 1963
- Member, Pratten Park Magpies (past player association), current
- Captain-Coach, Wests Premiership Team, two years
- Life Member.
- Player, Mentor and Coach, 1970-1980s.
- Coach, North Sydney Bears, 1973-1976.
- Coach, Wollongong, one season.
- Life Member, Sydney Cricket Ground.
- Australia Day Ambassador, 10 years.
- Past Commentator, Channel Seven, Sports Action program.
Awards and recognition includes:
- Hooker, Australian Rugby League 'Team of the Century'; and named among the '100 Greatest Players over the first century of the game', ARL, 2008
- Captain and Hooker, Wests Magpies Team of the Century, 2004
- Annual award for best player at Wests Tigers is named the Kelly Barnes Award (in conjunction with former Balmain player Keith Barnes)
- Recipient, Australian Sports Medal, 2000.