You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Match Report: NRL Round 25 vs Dolphins

A penalty goal from the sideline has seen Wests Tigers complete a thrilling 24-23 victory over the Dolphins at CommBank Stadium.

The scoreline continued to ebb and flow throughout the match, with a clutch conversion from captain Api Koroisau proving the difference between the two sides.

For the first time in four weeks, Wests Tigers grabbed the first try of the match after an offload from Stefano Utoikamanu landed in the hands of a charging Fonua Pole.

The Dolphins hit back through Jamayne Isaako before Asu Kepaoa reached out for the hosts’ second try of the afternoon following a bust from Jahream Bula.

The two teams continued to trade tries as Sean O’Sullivan made a simple line-break and passed to an unmarked Euan Aitken.

Leading by two, Wests Tigers looked to have extended their lead shortly before half-time as Isaiah Papali’i crossed the line.

However, the second-rower was denied by the Bunker due to a knock on and both sides hit the sheds with the scoreline sitting at 12-10.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by WestsTigers (@nrl_weststigers)

After the break, the Dolphins wasted little time in reclaiming the lead as Jack Bostock out-jumped two Wests Tigers defenders to score his first career try.

Debutant Triston Reilly then made a line break but elected not to pass to David Nofoaluma on his outside.

Luckily, Wests Tigers scored on the very next play as Alex Seyfarth hit the ball at speed close to the line.

Hooker Jake Simpkin pushed the lead beyond one converted try for the first time with a smart scoot from dummy half in the 56th minute.

However, that buffer was soon erased by debutant Trai Fuller, who beat several Wests Tigers defenders on his way to the line.

An obstruction penalty then allowed Wayne Bennett’s side to tie the game with twelve minutes remaining in the contest.

Jamayne Isaako put the Dolphins in front by a point with five minutes remaining before an unconventional short kickoff was recovered by the home side.

The play ended with a penalty to Wests Tigers, which provided Api Koroisau with the opportunity to become a hero.

The skipper showed nerves of steel as he kicked the ball from the Western touchline, with the Steeden striking the crossbar before dropping between the posts to seal the win.

Alex Twal was sensational for the hosts, leading the team in both running metres and tackles as he played 54 minutes in the front row.

Wests Tigers will now travel across town for their first appearance at Allianz Stadium against the Roosters next Saturday.

Acknowledgement of Country

Wests Tigers respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Corporate Partners

View All Partners