You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Wests Tigers are through to the second round of the NSW Cup finals after defeating Auckland Vulcans 34-24.

Wests Tigers got off to a great start, trapping the Sharks in-goal with their first set of six, setting the tone with aggressive start in defence.

Despite earning a repeat set, Wests Tigers couldn't capitalise on possession.

Wests Tigers were enjoying the weight of possession and field position in the opening ten minutes but had failed to get on the board. The attack inside the twenty lacked the execution of previous weeks.

The closest Wests Tigers came to scoring was when captain Sean Meaney looked to have crossed out wide in the tenth minute, but was held up by desperate Vulcans defence.

It was Auckland who opened the scoring as they crossed with their first real attack of the match.

Prop forward Suaia Matagi barrelled over the line after taking a short ball under the posts in the 13th minute.

Ngani Laumape converted for a 6-0 lead.

The Vulcans' ability to threaten the Wests Tigers line with apparent ease would surely have been a concern for coach Paul Fletcher.

Wests Tigers threatened on various occasions but just couldn't crack the Auckland line.

The small crowd thought Wests Tigers had finally opened their account in the 20th minute as Sean Meaney put left centre Josh Davis over, but the referee called it back for a forward pass.

It was Meaney who finally came up with the spark, busting through 40 metres out before setting up halfback Jack Madden who rounded the fullback to score under the posts in the 23rd minute.

Meaney converted to lock the scores up at 6-all.

Wests Tigers were beginning to roll through a tiring Vulcans side who looked to be suffering from playing into a strong breeze.

Prop Ava Seumanufagai made a fearsome hit up, leaving Vulcans injured on the ground.

Second rower Asipeli Fine extended Wests Tigers' lead in the 29th minute, spinning over after a cheeky offload close to the line from Joel Luani who was fresh onto the field.

Meaney missed the conversion to leave the score 10-6 in Wests Tigers' favour.

With just four minutes remaining until halftime second rower Inno Inosesio barrelled over to the left of the posts. Meaney converted and it was 16-6 leading into the break.

Wests Tigers would be grateful for that last try with the prospect of running into a strong breeze on the other side of halftime.

It looked like it would remain that way, but Sean Meaney really pushed the lead when he carved his way over on the left to stretch the lead. He then converted from out wide to make it 22-6 right on the halftime buzzer.

Wests Tigers have had a terrible record of fading out of games in 2013 and they came out of the blocks hard in defence after the break, but gave away a penalty in the first set of the half.

They were looking strong in defence on their line, but a deflected kick fell kindly to Siosiua Taukeiaho who only had to fall over the line. The try was converted making it 22-12 in the 43rd minute.

Coach Fletcher must have been having nightmares about another second half fade out, one which would this time end his team's season.

Centre Rory Brien earned Wests Tigers possession in the Auckland half, leading the defensive effort to put the Vulcans into touch.

From that possession Asipeli Fine crossed on the left for his second after a sublime pass close to the line from halfback Jack Madden.

Meaney missed the conversion leaving the score at 26-12.

Sean Meaney was having blinder and took it to the next level in the 58th minute when he grubbered perfectly, the ball bouncing into second rower Jarrod Farlow's hands to fall over the line.

Meaney's goal-kicking wasn't living up to his general play, missing again to see the score remain Wests Tigers 30, Auckland Vulcans 12.

With the game beginning to get away from them, the Vulcans started to throw the football around, but the Wests Tigers defence was holding strong.

Moses Pangai made a great run down the sideline with 15 minutes remaining and looked like he might go all the way, but just couldn't quite get there.

Suaia Matagi crossed in the 68th and the conversion was hit by Laumape converted to make things nervous for Wests Tigers, bringing the score to 30-18.

Things were getting all too familiar for Wests Tigers when the Vulcans immediately broke down their right side, Taukeiaho scoring his second of the day, beating the cover defence.

Laumape kicked a crucial goal to get Auckland within six points, 30-24 with less than ten minutes remaining.

Auckland were rolling, but a turnover on halfway gave Wests Tigers a chance to attack.

Centre Rory Brien sealed the match for Wests Tigers running a nice line on the right to carve through the Warriors defence.

Meaney's conversion was again pushed wide by the wind, the score 34-24 in the 74th minute.

Wests Tigers dealt with a late charge from Auckland to round out the game, 34-24 victors.

They will now take on the loser of the Newcastle and North Sydney semi-final.
Acknowledgement of Country

Wests Tigers respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Corporate Partners

View All Partners