You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Wests Tigers’ NYC squad have continued their impressive 2014 home form with a stunning 38-24 comeback win against the North Queensland Cowboys.

After trailing 20-6 just before half-time, the hosts turned that around with a dominant second-half performance, with halfback Mitchell Moses again instrumental in the win — scoring tries and setting them up alike.

North Queensland opened the scoring in the ninth minute through hooker Josh Chudleigh who broke free from defenders and crashed over in the left corner. The conversion from Corey Jensen was unsuccessful.

A line-break from inside the Wests Tigers own half resulted in back rower Lamar Liolevave finishing the move to level up the scores.

Mitchell Moses put the home side in front 6-4 with an easy conversion in the 12th minute.

Cowboys five-eighth Aaron Solari put the visitors back in the lead with a barnstorming run to the line after picking up a handling error from the Wests Tigers own the 20-metre line.

The conversion was yet again waved away with North Queensland leading 8-6 after 19 minutes.

Solari scored his second of the match in the 26th minute, extending the Cowboys lead to 14-6 as Jensen successfully converted the try.

Cowboys back rower Bill Cullen sliced through the defence as the visitors capitalised on a penalty to extend their lead to 18-6. Jensen nailed the conversion from under the posts as the Cowboys raced out to 20-6 lead after 33 minutes.

Centre Watson Heletea reduced the deficit to just 10-points, finishing a sweeping back line move in the right corner of Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

Moses was unable to convert, as the score remained 20-10 after 35 minutes.

Moses kicked a huge 40/20 and off the next play and the Wests Tigers immediately shifted it blind side with winger John Ogden barging his way over in the left corner.

Moses produced another pieve of brilliance as he converted an extremely difficult kick, resulting in the Cowboys clinging to a 20-16 lead going into the break. 

Wests Tigers were first to score with an outstanding individual effort from fullback Mason Farrell who grubbered for himself. Moses missed the conversion and the score remained locked up at 20-all after 49 minutes. 

Moses was again at the centre of it all again soon later, and put the hosts in front when he took on the line and raced away to plant the ball down in the corner.

His conversion attempt from the sideline was unsuccessful, leaving the score at 24-20.

On the back of repeat sets, the Cowboys leveled the scores again in the 64th minute when Schulte finished off a sweeping back-line move in the left corner. Another sideline conversion went begging, and the score was locked up with 10 minutes to play.

Moses’ cross-field kick in the 72nd minute found Satterthwaite, who leapt the highest to plant the ball down and give the hosts the lead once more.

And it was another cross-field kick that sealed the win for the home side, after a cross-field bomb was spilled by the Cowboys. Ogden was there to pick it up and put it down, and after Moses nailed the sideline conversion, the score was blown out to beyond a converted try.

Ogden crossed late in the match after a frantic last-tackle play to blow the lead out to 14 points, which is how it would remain after Moses’ sideline conversion was wide.

Final: Wests Tigers 38 def. North Queensland Cowboys 24


Acknowledgement of Country

Wests Tigers respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Corporate Partners

View All Partners