You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

A dominant second half from the Newtown Jets has seen them upset Wests Tigers 30-14 today in Round 21 of the NSW Cup at Henson Park.

The Jets ran in three consecutive tries after going into half time with a narrow 12-10 lead.

The game marked the return of NRL squad member Tim Moltzen, who looked dangerous throughout the game at five-eighth, in his first match since Round 7 last year.

Get your tickets to our Simon Dwyer Tribute match in Round 21 here. $5 from every adult and family ticket will go to Simon. 

Newton halfback Scott Dureau opened the scoring for the Jets, taking on the Wests Tigers line and planting it down despite the efforts of fullback Kurtis Rowe in defence. Dureau converted the try for a 6-0 lead after 12 minutes.

Both sides were guilty of numerous errors in the opening 20-minute period, with the Jets having the wealth of field position but unable to post any extra points.

Winger John Sila made his way over the line in the 25th minute, only to be held up by three Newtown defenders. Wests Tigers worked it to the right two plays later with opposite winger Setefano Taukafa reaching out to score in the corner.

Stevens was unable to convert and the Jets held a 6-4 lead after 26 minutes.

The Jets enjoyed another period of dominance; however a solid defensive display, particularly from captain Jarred Farlow, was able to hold the home side out yet again.

Moltzen then put up a spiralling bomb in windy conditions, hitting the crossbar and bouncing back into the hands of Rowe who scored an unbelievable try.

Moltzen added the easy conversion for a 10-6 lead after 35 minutes.

Click here to hear what Tim Moltzen had to say after his successful return from injury.

Newtown hit back though soon after with second-rower Rhyce Martin scooping up a charge-down to run 30 metres and score in the corner.

Dureau added the tough conversion to make it 12-10 at half-time.

It was Newtown who would post first points in the second stanza as well, with prop forward Ryan Verlinden busting through the defence in the 54th minute to score under the sticks. Jackson Hastings converted the try for a 18-10 lead.

A flashy backline move on the right edge gave the home side quick back-to-back tries as centre Samisoni Langi scored under the sticks. Hastings added another easy two-points and the Jets went out to a 24-10 lead with just over 20 minutes remaining in the match.

Newtown put on more points as they gained momentum, with Martin bagging a second from a crafty grubber in behind the line. Hastings was faced with a tougher task this time, but made no mistake with the conversion for a 30-10 lead after 68 minutes.

The final period of the match very much mirrored the opening stages, with both sides making plenty of errors. Taukafa combined with Asipeli Fine down the right side in the dying stages for a consolation try but it was all in vain for the visitors, as the Newtown Jets finished the match with a convincing 30-14 victory.

Wests Tigers will now face the New Zealand Warriors next Saturday at Kirkham Oval, Camden in Round 22 of the competition.

NEWTOWN 30 (Martin 2, Dureau, Verlinden tries; Dureau 2, Hastings 3 goals) def.

WESTS TIGERS 14 (Rowe, Taukafa, Fine tries; Moltzen goal)


Acknowledgement of Country

Wests Tigers respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Corporate Partners

View All Partners