You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Wests Tigers’ NSW Cup side have suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of the Wentworthville Magpies today, who ran out 44-6 victors at Ringrose Park in Round 24 of the competition.

It looked set to be a thrilling match on paper, with both sides level on competition points and playing for second spot with just one round remaining before the finals series.

That wasn’t the case though, as the Magpies turned in a clinical performance, dominating field position and possession for the majority of the game.

Wentworthville applied plenty of pressure early in the match, following back-to-back penalties in the 5th minute, however Wests Tigers were able to hold off an early onslaught.

Just minutes later Magpies fullback Justin Hunt made a line-break down the left edge and linked up with hooker Kaysa Pritchard who crossed next to the sticks for the opening try. Luke Kelly converted for a 6-0 lead after nine minutes.

The home side were back at it again, this time through a towering bomb that was put down by Wests Tigers fullback Kurtis Rowe. Winger Cecil Mackenzie scooped it up and went over for a try. Kelly converted the tough kick to make it 12-0 after just 13 minutes.

Wentworthville were definitely on a roll in the opening stages, with continued pressure resulting in another try just moments later as Ben Fritz pounced on a grubber in the right corner. Kelly missed his first conversion of the day but his side held a 16-0 lead after 18 minutes.

It wasn’t until mid-way through the first half that Wests Tigers received their first real attacking opportunity, however Wentworthville held strong on the goal-line and Pritchard fielded a dangerous grubber from Joel Luani.

A huge penalty count in favour of the home side eventually resulted in another Magpies try, this time through centre Jake Butler-Fleming who crashed over in the right corner. Kelly landed the tough kick to extend the lead to 22-0 after 35 minutes.

On the stroke of half time, Wentworthville received another penalty and decided to take a shot at penalty goal from 49 metres out. Kelly’s attempt fell just short but his side went into the break with a 22-0 lead.

An opportunity in the opening stages of the second stanza went begging for Wests Tigers as halfback Michael Stevens had the ball knocked out of his hands just five metres from the line.

Wentworthville continued their dominant trend of field position and possession in the following stages, with Pritchard bagging his second try off the back of a perfect cross-field kick from Kelly. The playmaker converted the try for a 28-0 lead after 53 minutes.

The flood of penalties against Wests Tigers continued, as the Magpies put on another try through a barnstorming Lorenzo Ma’afu who went over just inside the corner post. Another sideline conversion from Kelly made it 34-0 after 57 minutes.

Wentworthville fullback Justin Hunt grabbed a late double, with a try in the 74th and again in the 77th minute to extend the lead to 44-0 with just one minute to play.

Despite a heavy score against them, Wests Tigers rushed to pack a scrum following a Magpies error and earned one last crack to get on the scoreboard. Inno Inosesio then carried numerous defenders over the line to claim a try right on the full time siren.

Corey Brown slotted the goal from the consolation try to make the full time score 44-6 in favour of Wentworthville at Ringrose Park.

Acknowledgement of Country

Wests Tigers respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Corporate Partners