Wests Tigers vice-captain Chris Lawrence is closing in on the Club’s all-time top try-scoring record after crashing over against the Gold Coast Titans last week.
In his first game back from injury, Lawrence’s perfect line off a short ball from Tuimoala Lolohea took the veteran against the Gold Coast Titans forward to 76 career tries — now level with fellow Life Member Benji Marshall for the most tries scored in Wests Tigers history.
The second longest serving player in Wests Tigers history, Lawrence now requires just more four-pointer to become the greatest ever try-scorer in the Club’s history.
Beginning his try-scoring feats with an effort on debut against the Brisbane Broncos back in 2006, the talented teenager quickly began racking up tries with 20 tries in his first 25 games. Starting in the centres and wing, Lawrence scored five or more tries every year from 2007 to 2012, before making the full-time move to the back row.
Since the switch, Lawrence’s hole running has continued to reap rewards for Wests Tigers, with the father-to-be scoring three tries or more in every season since 2007.
Currently sitting on two tries for season 2017, keeping that record in tact with a try over the final five games of the regular season would take him in to the Club’s history books.
MOST TRIES IN WESTS TIGERS HISTORY
1. Benji Marshall — 76 tries in 201 games
1. Chris Lawrence* — 76 tries in 207 games
3. Robbie Farah — 61 tries in 248 games
4. Pat Richards — 52 tries in 82 games
5. James Tedesco* — 49 tries in 85 games
6. Beau Ryan — 46 tries in 104 games
7. Daniel Fitzhenry — 45 tries in 138 games
8. Taniela Tuiaki — 42 tries in 78 games
9. David Nofoaluma* — 40 tries in 82 games
* denotes currently still playing for Wests Tigers
CHRIS LAWRENCE TRIES — BY POSITION
Wing — 4 tries in 9 games
Centre — 51 tries in 134 games
Five-Eighth — 3 tries in 10 games
Second Row — 8 tries in 43 games
Lock — 4 tries in 2 games
Bench — 6 tries in 9 games