After a stellar season with Wests Tigers, young gun Harry Grant has been voted the RLPA Rookie of the Year for 2020.
The Yeppoon Seagulls junior joined the Wests Tigers in Round 3 from the Melbourne Storm, enjoying a breakout season in which he scored three tries in 15 appearances.
Grant was voted the best rookie by his fellow players – ahead of fellow finalists Toby Rudolf, Eli Katoa, Herbie Farnworth and Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow.
The Rockhampton-born dummy-half also earned a place in the Queensland Maroons train-on squad for the upcoming Origin series and was awarded Wests Tigers’ Rookie of the Year at their Kelly-Barnes Awards Night.
Grant was presented the trophy on Friday at the Maroons’ training session by RLPA Board Member Daly Cherry-Evans.
Cherry-Evans was also a previous recipient of the RLPA Rookie of the Year award in 2011.
Grant, who also won the RLPA National Youth Competition Player of the Year in 2017, played two NRL games for the Melbourne Storm prior to this season.
Harry Grant reflects on Rookie of the Year Award
RLPA Rookie of the Year Honour Roll
- 2020 — Harry Grant (Wests Tigers)
- 2019 — Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)
- 2018 — Victor Radley (Sydney Roosters)
- 2017 — Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders)
- 2016 — Cody Walker (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
- 2015 — Cameron Munster (Melbourne Storm)
- 2014 — Luke Brooks (Wests Tigers)
- 2013 — George Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
- 2012 — Josh Mansour (Penrith) and Adam Reynolds (South Sydney)
- 2011 — Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
- 2010 — Trent Hodkinson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
- 2009 — Josh Dugan (Canberra Raiders)
- 2008 — David Williams (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
- 2007 — Michael Jennings (Penrith Panthers)
- 2006 — Darius Boyd (Brisbane Broncos)
- 2005 — Ben Smith (Parramatta Eels
- 2004 — Sonny-Bill Williams (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)