You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Wests Tigers NSW Cup side got back on the winners list today with a 28-18 victory over the Manly Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval in Round 23 of the NSW Cup.

The home team were desperate to keep in touch with the top eight, but Paul Fletchers side came away victorious to break a two-game losing streak following disappointing losses to Newtown and Cronulla.

Wests Tigers opened the scoring after Jack Madden found a barnstorming Moses Pangai down the left edge, with the winger barging his way over in a 20 metre run to the line. Sean Meaney slotted the conversion for a 6-0 lead after eight minutes.

James Luff made his second line-break of the game from dummy-half, finding fellow Under 20s player Matt Mulcahy on the inside for a cracking try on debut. An easy conversion for Meaney extended the lead to 12-0 after just 11 minutes.

Josh Davis found space out wide and gave an inside ball to Pangai who sliced through the Manly defence in another 20 metre run to go over for his second try of the day. Meaney had a tough conversion from the touchline, but made no mistake sending it over for an 18-0 lead after 28 minutes.

The Wests Tigers defensive line eventually cracked after an unfavourable penalty count, with Manly second-rower Nick Skinner crossing just two minutes before the break. Former Wests Tiger, Dane Chisholm converted to make it 18-6 at half time.

The second half started just the way the first finished, with Manly receiving a number of penalties to go on the front foot. The Sea Eagles couldnt capitalise on their opportunities though, with the Wests Tigers defence staying solid. Jy Hitchcox made an impressive surge from his in-goal early in the half, using his speed to make an amazing escape to relieve pressure.

The scoring drought was finally broken in the 66th minute, with Manly interchange player Kayse Greer throwing a dummy and going over in the left corner. Chisholm made no mistake with the goal, making it 18-12 with 13 minutes to play.

Hitchcox was up to his in-goal tricks again following his previous effort. With Manly on the attack and trailing by a converted try, the crafty winger scooped up a dangerous grubber and used his speed to edge across his own in-goal and put Pangai in to space who was tackled 20 metres out from his own line.

The pressure was well and truly eased as the Wests Tigers took it down the other end of the park, with Jarred Farlow sending Rory Brien over in the corner to all but seal victory. Meaney was unsuccessful with the kick, with the scoreboard reading 22-12 with eight minutes remaining.

However, Manly set up a grandstand finish with James Hasson escaping numerous tackles to score near the posts. Chisholm converted to make it a four-point ball game, 22-18 with just two minutes to play.

It was the captain Meaney who saved the day, bringing down a towering bomb, as the Wests Tigers made a charge downfield with seconds remaining. Michael Bullock busted his way through and threw a speculator to Josh Davis who crossed right on the bell. Meaney converted the try, with the Wests Tigers leaving Brookvale with a 28-18 victory.
Acknowledgement of Country

Wests Tigers respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Corporate Partners

View All Partners